Monday, June 2, 2008

My boys...

I was recently harassed by my sister Kristi for not having a picture of my husband on my blog. =) In order to remedy that I made the two of them pose for me last night. They were actually in the middle of arguing about going to bed, so the little man had to be persuaded to smile through some gentle tickling!
And for calling me out =) my sister gets her picture posted on the blog along with my other siblings (from left to right- Kristi, Jeff, Me, and Aaron).
Back to my boys. We had a good weekend, although I had tonsilitis and was not feeling great (I'm horrible when I'm sick. I really just want to be left alone, but with an 8 year old in the house that isn't possible. So I got a little snippy with him a couple times.) Lawrence occupied him quite a bit and played games with us. William loves board games. We played both Sorry and Yahtzee as a family. Me and Lawrence both beat the little man at Sorry, but he kicked our butts by over a hundred points at Yahtzee. The lucky duck got two Yahtzee's. He got Yahtzee this weekend as a present from one of my high school friends. Of course he opened everything so fast that I'm not sure if it was from Holly and Jason or from Allison's parents. But we'll throw a shout out to both! Yahtzee is our new obsession. He also got this SpongeBob Lego spaceship from Allison and Andy. We built it when we got home on Saturday night.

Interestingly I was just telling my friend Gary the other day that I was concerned because William doesn't do "imagination play." It makes me sad because I was lost in my imagination as a child. I created all sorts of worlds with my Legos, Transformers, and Star Wars figures. Sometimes the hot wheels even came to visit! But William doesn't do that. He doesn't like to be in his room by himself and he doesn't use his imagination. Gary says that is normal in kids who have been traumatized. But then on Saturday night after we finished building the Lego I was cleaning up and he started talking as the voices of the little SpongeBob lego figures and was wheeling around the little underwater car. I almost started crying. I quietly left him to his imagination. And then on Sunday morning he woke up early (of course) and was downstairs watching cartoons and playing with his Legos. I loved it and I think it is a really good sign.

Speaking of games. If you look closely at the picture of Lawrence and William above you'll notice a chess board on William's bed. I taught him to play chess over Memorial Day weekend and now he can't get enough. He knows all the rules and how the pieces move and we play it once or twice a day. He's getting much better. He hasn't beat me yet, but he played me to a draw the other night and he's getting more strategic at taking pieces. He's so smart with these kind of games.

I'm going to try to post more often. The problem of course is that I usually post while at work and work has been crazy. Sometimes I post from home, but it is usually so hectic that I don't get a chance. There is usually about an hour and a half after William goes to bed until my bedtime, but that is filled with chores and taking 20 minutes to just chill. Anyway, I'm gonna try to be better. Especially because tonight is William's first baseball practice. He's playing on a YMCA team. We went and bought him cleats and pants (and a jock strap and cup- boy that was fun to explain in the middle of the store and then have him be obnoxious with it). But he is sooo excited. We have been practicing the last two weeks and the kid actually has a hell of an arm for as little as he is. I'll be sure to embarrass him by taking pictures tonight. He is a little upset that his team's name is the Red Sox. He REALLY wanted to be the Cardinals.

No comments: