Friday, June 27, 2008

Family Reunion- Lake Style

We were at my family reunion at the Lake of the Ozarks from Thursday night (18th) until Wednesday (25th). Well, me and William were- Lawrence only got to join us for a brief time from late Saturday night to Monday afternoon.

We had a blast. My aunt Jackie and late Uncle Walt have two houses down there. The reunion has grown and shrunk in size over the years as kids grow up and families get busy. The reunion is my mom's side of the family. She has two brothers and her sister is my Aunt Jackie. Then there are lots of cousins and second cousins (I don't think I'm at third cousins yet- maybe one) When I was a kid my Uncle and Aunt from Ohio would come down with their kids, but I don't think any of them have come in almost 15 years. Now instead of me and my brothers and cousins being the "young ones," my older cousins all have teenage kids now and my brothers and me all have little kids. My cousin Mitch (Jackie's son) is even a grandpa already.

It's all chaos and craziness and silly fun. A lot of people got there on Thursday and then most everyone else (except Lawrence) came down on Friday. Over the weekend there were 30 people running around. Then most people left on Sunday or Monday so I got a couple quiet days where there were only about 11 or 12 of us. We usually do a lot of boating, tubing, riding the jet skis, swimming, laughing, playing cards, drinking, singing, and dancing.

This year was no exception. There were some hilarious moments over the weekend. Like when my little brother and cousin Andy got the teenage boys to swim over to the island at 3am to try to move this ugly old dock along the shore and out of our line of sight. Me and Lori and Erin sat on our dock listening to them. It was pitch black and nobody could see much, but their voices echoed off the water. I made beer come out of Erin's nose because we were laughing so hard. Another night I got a wild hair and went up to the gas station and bought some Captain Morgan's. Now I don't drink much anymore. I have a couple drinks maybe once a week (like 2 or 3 on a "crazy" night) with my friends. Anyway, this night I convinced (it didn't take much) my sister Lori to drink Captain and Coke with me. Needless to say the two of us split the entire bottle by ourselves. We had a great time. I ended up playing some drinking game with my almost legal cousins and everyone was singing and laughing. It was quite the good time. I went to bed around 2:30 and then got up and puked 20 minutes later (I told you I don't drink!). Of course, that morning the little man decided to get up at 6am. NICE! I guess that is karma.

William had a blast. Not only was Alex there, but Aaron and Lori brought Lori's nephew Michael who is also 8 years old. So there were three boys near the same age. They did lots of swimming and tubing and begged for lots of rides on the jet skis. I bought William a fishing pole and he caught a couple fish while we were down there. Of course the boys also bickered some. At one point Alex and William were at each other and I kept asking them to stop because I was trying to fix the jet ski and they were standing next to me going back and forth at each other. Finally my mom and dad came down and my dad was helping me. I stood up and Alex and William were still at it, so I picked them up one at a time and tossed them in the lake. Alex didn't say much, but boy was William mad at me. You would have thought I tossed him in a pit of snakes or something. He had on his swimsuit and life jacket, so it's not like he wasn't prepared to get in the water. Oh well, it taught them a lesson- Don't argue around water or you might get tossed in! =)

I have a couple pictures right now and then some more on the home computer that I'll add later.

No comments: