Saturday, June 14, 2008

Camp Invention














William had one week off between school and summer school. I feel sort of sad for him. I remember looking forward to summer so much. Long days of doing nothing but playing outside. Running around with friends.

And poor William has to go to school and he lives in an urban neighborhood where he is only allowed to "play" in a half block radius around our house. His bus comes a half hour earlier than during the school year so when he goes to bed he hears kids outside. It makes me appreciate my stay-at-home mom growing up. And it makes me feel guilty that William has two dads that work and he has to go to summer school and then an after school program. It's just a different life than what I had. I know that he loves his after school program and summer school is mostly field trips and fun stuff and is more about learning appropriate social interactions than about academics, but when I have to wake up the little man at 6:30am and he whines about how I woke him from the best dream ever, I feel a little guilty.

So, his one week off from school. He spent it at Camp Invention. And he had a great week. We couldn't get alot out of him about what he did, but he seemed to have a great time. From what we did get, they learned about recycling and they took apart things to see how they worked (we sent him to camp with the phone from our kitchen because we couldn't find any other electronic that we didn't want. We still haven't replaced it, so if you call the house and I don't answer it's because I'm down stairs and there is no phone!)

He didn't get in any trouble at camp and I think mostly what they did was play around. On the last day I went and he gave me the "tour" of the different classrooms and teachers. William is such a social little creature. He knew all the counselors names and wanted me to meet them all and they all told me how adorable he was. Part of that is that he is just a social butterfly and some of it is that he uses his cuteness to get what he wants. He is really smart and manipulative. He told me the other night "I'm so cute I can get people to do whatever I want." He is very aware of his "powers." It's kind of scary sometimes. Being his parent you learn to cut through the BS. The cuteness worked at first but now that we have his number he's trying to figure out new ways to manipulate the situation in his favor. He has survived so far in life through manipulation of his environment. I get it...it's just not always easy.

On a lighter note, our lillies are blooming. Next to Iris, lillies are my favorite flower in our garden. We planted a bunch a few years ago and each year when they come back there are more and more. There is one that is a deep red that started as a single stalk with a couple flowers. This year Lawrence tried counting all the flower buds and I think he stopped at 130. They are really gorgeous. We have red, yellow, orange, a very light orange and a very deep red. Lawrence planted more this year and we'll have to wait a year to see the colors. For now, enjoy the pics.


1 comment:

Bacchus said...

We struggle as well with the fact that our son won't have the same kind of freedoms that my partner and I had growing up. We live in a major city and the idea of him just riding off on his bike, well I just don't see that happening.

I thought I was the only one who's favorite flowers were irises. I never give flowers without at least one in there.