Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Baseball

William is playing baseball for the BOSTON RED SOX.

OK, he's playing for the YMCA Red Sox, but it's about as exciting as if he were playing major league ball. He's so handsome in his baseball outfit. And the kid has some potential.

So I got a little weirded out at his first baseball practice. I was standing there with all the parents watching them practice and I just had this out of body experience. I was like- how did I get here? How did I become a parent to an 8 (now 9) year old. I was having flashbacks to my dad coaching my little league. It seems like yesterday that I was only 8 years old...

Anyway...back to William. He's pretty good. He's got an arm and he can catch and he's not afraid of getting in front of the ball. We do need to go to the batting cages because even though he's hitting in practice, he has struck out in both the games they have played so far. His biggest problem though is paying attention and keeping focused. It's as if his little body just won't let him. He tries so hard to stand still and watch what's going on. He does this funny little move where he jumps and bends his legs back and touches his shoes with his hands. He seems to do it when he gets excited. It's cute. But sometimes I worry he's going to get beamed with a ball while doing his little jump move.

I volunteered to help coach, but there are a lot of others who did also. The last game they asked me to be the bench coach. Meaning that when our team was up to bat I kept the kids in order on the bench and told them when to get into the on deck circle. It was fun. The whole thing is just fun. It is the first time he has played organized sports. I love being able to get him involved in activities that he has never gotten to experience.

Before each game the teams come on the field and say the YMCA sportsman's pledge:

And this is the little man's first at bat in the big leagues (gotta get that elbow up):

No comments: