Friday, April 11, 2008

Reincarnation

The other night William and I were hanging out in his room playing Go Fish. We were having fun and being silly and it was one of those moments that you just cherish. There is nothing else in the world, just you and this kid having fun. So William loves to just bring up these really deep topics at the most interesting moments. Actually I think it happens when something is on his mind and he actually relaxes a little and lets down his guard. He has spent most of his life not being able to rely on the adults in his life, so it is good that he feels comfortable enough already to talk to us about all sorts of stuff, some funny and some sad. So the conversation goes something like this:

William: Do you think that God lets you come back as someone else after you die?

Me: Well, some people believe you can come back, it's called reincarnation. Other people believe that you go to heaven and stay with God. What do you think?

William: I think God is nice and he'll let me come back.

Me: I'm sure he will.

(At this point my heart is breaking. I'm the softy in the house and I almost start crying because I'm thinking: this little boy is 8 years old and he has already had such a rough life that he already wants a "do over." He has so much life left to live and I want him more than anything to just be happy. Then William says-)


William: Will I see you in heaven?

Me: Of course you will buddy.

William: I don't know. (Smirks at me) You're awfully mean when you take away my privileges.

Classic William.

2 comments:

Bacchus said...

Wow what a cutie! It sounds like you have your hands full. It is probably the most profound life changing event in my life. There is nothing like it, the goods are so much better than I expected and the exasperations are so much more.... well exasperating. I wouldn't change it for anything.

Oddly enough the bloggers I've met have been great to bounce things off or just to vent too. Sometimes you want to holler, yell and let out all your doubts but not to the people in your life.

Thanks for commenting, I'm always tickled to find out about a new reader.

Unknown said...

oh barker... it is so good that you are sort of "journaling" conversations such as this one. it all goes by too fast and the moments are sometimes almost too much to take in... my favorite most recent "spiritual" conversation with eli was when he brought home this easter picture from school and i said something like, "this is cool, eli. did you make this with a story you read about jesus?" eli says, "yeah. we read lots of stories about jesus. he dies in all of them." hysterical.