Monday, April 14, 2008

Birthdays

Birthdays are very important in my family. We have a party for everybody, which includes a special cake made by Abby (my sister-in-law). The cake's are always amazing. Birthday party's have gotten crazier and crazier over the years as we have added spouses and more and more kids. I can still remember, not that long ago, when we had birthday parties where there weren't any kids around. We used to be able to sit around and just talk. It was a chance for us all to get together and catch up.

Now with five kids (soon to be six- right Lori and Aaron?) these parties are just loud and fast. At Lawrence's birthday my parents even set up a "kids only" table. They often seem to zoom right by and I feel like I've hardly gotten to talk to anybody. But they are still important. I love the idea of celebrating milestones. Even if they are only for a fleeting moment, they give us a chance to stop and recognize where we are at and how far we have come. To celebrate, to laugh, to talk, and to give gifts that bring a smile to people's faces.


Yesterday we celebrated Alex's birthday (his birthday is actually today). He is really into fighter jets right now, as you can tell by his cake. I can't believe he is 8 years old.


I still remember the day he was born. My uncle had just passed away and I was at home in St. Louis for the funeral. My little brother was still in high school and I remember going up to his high school to get him out early so that we could go to the hospital to see our first nephew. I went to the office and they told me what room he was in. I remember running down the hallway, interrupting his class, and running out with him. It was like Ferris Bueller or something. I felt like I was springing him from jail.

I was so excited. It was the start of a whole new generation. Almost a relief that our family stories and craziness would live on through these new names and faces. I vividly remember the tears and laughter, my parents excitement at their first grandchild, and just holding that little man named Alex.

And now, with William, we have birthday's every single month of the year. A chance once a month to sit down as a family and to enjoy each others company. I often have moments while we are sitting around laughing where I feel like time stops and I float above it all and I just smile at all the love that is around me.

And it is a chance for Uncle Matt to drive all the kids nuts taking pictures (see Maya telling me- "No more pictures!")

3 comments:

Bacchus said...

Looks like fun. We always celebrated birthdays this way growing up and are now doing our son's birthdays surrounded by family and close friends.

Butch said...

Hi, this is my first visit to your blog. I saw your entry on Cooper's blog and applaud you taking on the huge responsibility of raising a young lad. Best of luck to you both and congratulations on your 5 years together. My other half and I celebrated 27 years together this past February and at 5 years, it looks like you are well on your way as a long term couple!

Happy birthday wishes to your Alex!

Melanie said...

i love the pic of everyone sitting around the family room. and i love how william is right in the middle of it all, a perfect addition to the family. love you.