Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mischief

Last Saturday was Lawrence's birthday as well as our 5 year anniversary. The three of us celebrated as a family on Saturday. We opened presents (I bought him a nice Orion telescope, now we just have to get my brother over to show us how to use it), went on a family bike ride in the park, and then went to one of our favorite tapas restaurants for dinner. William did really well at the restaurant. He apparently loves olive tapenade and ate a whole ceasar salad by himself. He behaved really well and was even a little flirt with the bartender who kept giving him Shirley Temple's with LOTS of cherries.

On Sunday we went with some friends to the country to hike around on one of the guy's grandparents farm. We built a fire, hiked, played in the very cold creek, and roasted hot dogs and s'mores. It was a great day (besides a little bit of back-talking from the munchkin).

After we got home we headed out to my parents house for Lawrence's birthday dinner. It was my parents (Ken and Paulette), my little brother (Aaron) and his wife (Lori) and their daughter (Maya- 3 soon to be 4), my older brother (Jeff) and his wife (Abby) and their three kids (Alex- 8 next week, Justin- 5, and Audrey 2). Needless to say, family events are crazy and loud. I love them, Lawrence tolerates them (he's actually enjoying them more than he used to).

Anyway, the kids were playing outside and the adults were all sitting around talking when all of a sudden my nephew Alex comes inside and says: "Uncle Matt- William is getting into some mischief." Not what I want to hear, but as a boy I got into plenty of "mischief" so I wasn't immediately over-concerned.

So I go outside and William is standing on the passenger side of my car across the street. I head over there and find that he has attempted to unlock the car using a piece of thin wood and shoving it into the lock. Of course it broke off and he couldn't get it out. I ask him to step away from the car- immediately. I pulled out a piece of wood from the lock and then try to put in my key. Of course there was wood left in the lock and all I managed to do was push it further in. I was pretty upset at this point and William took off inside because he knew he was in trouble (I found him hiding under a bed). My little brother and dad come out with needles, flashlights, and tweezers (because they'll fix it). No such luck. So now my passenger side door can no longer be unlocked from the outside. William of course didn't understand why it was a big deal because you can still get in from the other side. We tried to explain it a hundred different ways, but either he's being stubborn or he really doesn't get it. My poor little Honda.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your car is now officially a "family car." My family car growing up was an '80 Oldsmobile with weeds literally growing from the carpet mats.
The "family car" I have now is forever caked with food and apple juice. There are remenets of vomit as well.
Welcome to parenthood.