Saturday, November 1, 2008

Tricks and Treats...

HALLOWEEN...the night of ghosts and goblins and LOTS of Candy! I loved Halloween as a kid and let's be honest, I loved it as a teenager too. Yes I was one of those obnoxious older kids who still went out each year. But at least I dressed up!

For many years in my 20's, Halloween fell off my radar. I guess I outgrew it or there wasn't the same feeling to it. The magic of it just went out for me.

And then, along came nephews and nieces, and that old feeling of loving the holiday came back. I loved going to see the kids all dressed up. Seeing how giddy they were to go out and collect candy door to door.

So, this year just added a new layer of excitement. William, of course, HAD to be SpongeBob!! Being the procrastinator that I am, I was up until 1am the night before making his costume. I think it turned out cute, although the box I used was heavy duty and I didn't realize how heavy it would be on his head. I drove him to school so that he wouldn't have to lug it on the bus. He got embarrassed right as we drove up to school and he told me later that when it came time to put on their costumes William didn't want to put his on. Luckily, one of his teachers had dressed up as SpongeBob too (she pinned kitchen sponges to her shirt and had a name tag on that said, "Hello, my name is Bob) and she was able to encourage him to put it on. He said everybody in the gym loved it. It was so cute to hear him tell the story. Anyway...below is our little SpongeBob.

That night we went over to Jeff and Abby's house to go trick or treating with the cousins. It was hilarious. Lori, Abby, and me walked around the neighborhood with the kids while Jeff handed out candy. Grandma Paulette came by to see all her grandkids dressed up. Maya was the princess from Sleeping Beauty, Justin was a photo enforced stoplight, Audrey was a little pink pig, and Alex was a fighter pilot. Justin was hilarious because he would take his hat off between houses and when he would knock on the door he would ask, "Why are adults afraid of me?" The people would say, "I don't know." And he would put his hat on and say, "because I'm photo enforced." People got a huge kick out of it. It was a fun night and we were able to avoid a candy free-for-all and have agreed to spread out his candy haul over the next couple weeks! =)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was shocked- Willy even shared his candy with his auntie. All the kids look so cute. How fun:)