Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Grandma's 60th

Can you believe that Grandma Barker turned 60!

I can't. It's amazing how quickly time passes and how the years start to fly by. I can't believe I'm 33. It seems like yesterday I was hanging out on the porch of 1015 Dana, smoking cigarettes, and half-heartedly playing wiffleball in our matching walgreens t-shirts. Sorry that was a college flashback.

Mom had a good birthday. No surprises...she hates surprises. Just a party with the extended family and funny presents (she got a granny racetrack. It's these grannies in wheelchairs that race around the track. HILARIOUS!). William loved it. Of course.

It is so bizarre to have a nine year old. All of my friends have babies or are having babies. I have a kid that is already obsessed with being a teenager.
William- "When can I get a cell phone?"
Matt- "When you can pay for it?"
William- "Do I get a car when I'm 16?"
Matt- "If you can pay for it?"
William- "I have a girlfriend."
Matt- "You're too young for a girlfriend."
William- "When will my bedtime be 10pm?"
Matt- "When you are 20." =)
William- "You are so mean. I wish I was an adult. I can't wait to be 18."
Matt- "I wish I was a kid again."
William- "huh?"

The realization hit me the other day that we are almost to double digits. 10 years old. I started to become very unbearable around 12 (Ask my 60 year old mother. She still remembers). That means I have 2 years, 3 until he's a teenager. When did this happen? It gives me panic attacks.

We were watching TV the other night and he sat next to me and wanted to snuggle. I put my arm around him and thought..."How many more of these do I get?" I feel sort of cheated out of all the snuggles.

I'm trying to enjoy it while I can, but he is so mouthy and argumentative. It's overwhelming. I fear the teenage years and they are right around the corner. Yikes.

We just started him on a new night time medicine. It's for his anxiety. He acts out a lot in the evenings when his ADHD med wears off. I don't want him overmedicated, but we've looked into this and anxiety causes sleeplessness and agitation. He has both of those. I hope this medicine helps. It seems to be helping him sleep at least. A nine year old with sleeping problems. Jesus, I used to sleep like a baby at 9 years old. Now at 33, I can't sleep at all- but the child deserves to be able to sleep.

I'm rambling. I'm anxious. Maybe I need a pill.

It was a good birthday. A delicious cake. The edges were coated in mini-chocolate morsels. So good. And there was a grannie racetrack. What more can you ask for?

No comments: