Friday, July 11, 2008

Summer Time...

Between baseball practice and games, meeting with caseworkers, us working, William in summer school, and trying to eat dinner as a family there isn't a lot of time to enjoy the summer. But we are trying. William loves to just be out in the neighborhood hanging out with friends (or enemies depending on the day). We are trying to expose him to lots of good and diverse stuff, seeing if stuff sparks his interest. Lawrence has been practicing math with him, both multiplication and division. And William is slowly getting it. Actually I think he knows it but he likes to pretend he doesn't know what he's doing. You have to catch him at the right moment. He is enjoying baseball, although he's starting to get frustrated because he can hit the ball in practice, but has been striking out in games. I think he gets nervous. We went to the batting cages and I think that has helped with his confidence.

We also took William to the ballet. We saw Sleeping Beauty. Lawrence really enjoys the ballet and the symphony. I like the symphony most of the time. Ballet isn't my favorite, but I don't hate it. Actually I enjoy it for the first hour or so and then I am sort of done. William did much better than I expected. He was antsy, but made it through three of the four acts. At one point he climbed on my lap and laid his head on my shoulder but was still watching what was happening. It helped to read him the description of each act from the program. Him and me left after the third act and Lawrence and Tim stayed until the end. That night I took William to my mom and dad's house. My mom told me the next day that at one point William was playing with something by himself and she overheard him humming a familiar tune. She finally realized that it was music from Sleeping Beauty. She didn't say anything to him, but said it was really cute. So whether he knows it or not, the music gets inside your head.

On a completely different note, Gary harassed me for not having a picture of the three of us together as a family. My only excuse for this is that I hate pictures of myself. However, the below picture is from Pride weekend and I think its amusing. My son, the ham!


Also just a couple more random pictures from the summer. Our summer roses and a group shot from Ian's 40th Birthday Party (clockwise from me it is John, Charisse, Gary, Jamie, and Ian).












No comments: