Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy Fourth!

We had a very quiet fourth of July. We spent most of the day lounging around, working around the house, and catching up on Netflix movies. However we did manage to pull ourselves together and make it to the Webster Groves (community within the St. Louis Metro Area where my older brother and sister live and where Lawrence went to high school) fireworks. We met up with Jeff and Abby and their kids. Abby had generously gone up earlier in the day and laid out blankets to save some prime spots for firework viewing.

I love fireworks, but hate crowds. I don't like venturing to the downtown fireworks during the fourth because it is just too crazy. Actually it isn't the crowds that I necessarily dislike, but the traffic. I abhor sitting in traffic (Part of the reason we live 8 minutes from our places of employment). That's why the Webster fireworks are great. Minimal traffic, Lawrence knows the secret routes around the area (since in high school you have nothing better to do but drive around and explore your neighborhood when you finally get your license). William INSISTED on bringing his IPOD. Now usually we have a rule that he can bring his IPOD in the car but he can't take it inside places. He also is not allowed to take it outside when he goes to play. William is just too irresponsible. Some of that I think is that he is just a nine year old boy and it's hard to keep track of these things. But part of it is that I think he grew up in such chaos that when he did get nice things they often got broken or stolen or lost. He has developed this lack of concern for his personal property, which may have served him in the past because if he didn't care too much about anything it didn't matter if it was gone. But at this point it is translating into just being irresponsible with his property. So we are slowly trying to teach him about this.So, on the fourth he insisted on bringing his IPOD in the car. We said OK, but he had to leave it in the car. Of course when we parked he started throwing a fit about wanting to bring it with him to our blankets. We gave in after explaining to him that he was responsible for the IPOD and if he lost it no one was going to replace it for him. (You know where this story is going don't you).

He took it. And then he put it down on the blanket once the fireworks started. When it was time to leave he got up and walked away and left it on the blanket. I saw him do all this and so when I went to shake the blanket out and fold it up, I grabbed the IPOD and put it in my pocket.

He did realize on the 15 minute walk back to the car that he didn't have it. He wanted to go back, but wasn't crying or anything. We told him "no," that he was responsible for remembering it and he forgot and that it was probably gone already anyway. Very little reaction, no tears, and 2 minutes later he was on to something else.

Since then he has brought up his IPOD a couple times (I still haven't told him I have it). He'll randomly ask to go back to the field and find it.

I'll give it back soon, but only after a talk about being responsible for your own things (I know my parents are rolling their eyes at me right now. Saying.."this from our son who kicked a huge hole in our wall with his foot." But I did have to help patch the wall and I think I'm pretty responsible. If anything I'm too responsible...I'm such a rule follower!

Enjoy some funky firework pictures...My hand shook while the camera was taking in the light.

No comments: