Friday, July 25, 2008

I want....

So the other night we walked up the street to the Missouri Botanical Garden. It is one block from our house and during the summer they have free concerts on Wednesday nights. This summer there have actually been quite a few Wednesdays where the weather has been cool enough (meaning in the 80's) that the concerts could be enjoyable. It really is amazing because there must be a thousand people (I'm a horrible crowd guesser, but it feels like that much) just sitting on blankets or in their lawn chairs. People bring wine and cheese or major meals and everybody just sits around and has a great time. The music is varied each week. Sometimes Jazz, sometimes folk, sometimes a gentle rock....always enjoyable.

Anyway, we always park our butts near the fountain where all the kids play while the adults drink wine and listen to the music. William always has to bring UNO and we usually play a couple hands of that. He's so funny...he's obsessed with UNO. He also loves the fountain. I don't think we have even made him where his swimsuit. He just takes off his shoes and socks and shirt and plays (It's only a block to home in his wet pants).

So this week we are sitting there and he takes off his shoes and is getting ready to go play and he is just standing there watching the other kids. Then instead of going to play he plops down in my lap. I say- "Hey buddy, aren't you gonna go play." "Yeah" (and then he justs sits there watching). Finally after a minute or so of silence he says... "I want a brother."

I'm sort of stunned into silence, so he repeats... "Can I have a brother?" At first, I joke with him. "So, how about a baby brother?" As I eye Lawrence to see if he's paying attention. "No, I want a brother that is my age. How about an 8 year old?" "I think we are still getting used to having a nine year old living with us." "How many points do I have to get at school to get a brother?" Now I'm trying not to laugh, but also wanting to end the conversation. "This is a decision for me and Lawrence to talk about making our family bigger. We're all still adjusting to the current situation, why don't we give it some time?" He looks up and smiles at me... "What do I have to do to get a brother as a reward?"

I laugh and send him on his way to play in the fountain.

(He saw all the siblings playing together in the fountain, which is what spurred this discussion. Plus, William has trouble being friends with people. He makes friends easily, but then tends to be mean to them along the way. I think he figures a sibling is stuck with him. What William really needs is for us to show him how to maintain friendships. Of course I know I could use help with that too sometimes. Shut-up Gary. At least I admitted it.)

A brother as a reward... let's start with a pet fish and go from there. =)

I do want a baby though...just so you know.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're already amazing fathers...what's one more?!?

TMac said...

sometimes when i read this blog i want to cry...