Sunday, December 28, 2008

Our First Family Christmas

I have such vivid memories of waking up on Christmas morning and running downstairs to see the piles of presents that Santa had left for us. That is my favorite memory, just seeing all of those wrapped presents, the anticipation, the wonder. I absolutely loved it. As I got older Christmas morning kept that same wonder. Just having those few quiet moments to take it all in. I guess that translates to life in general and how I love having those moments where I can just step back and take it all in. All the wonder...

After college I lived with a bunch of my girl friends from college. We lived in this three story crappy ass house that I personally loved. We had a LOT of fun in that house on Fairview. Mostly some crazy theme parties, but those are another story. However, one of my favorite memories is how my roommate Megan loved to lay under the decorated Christmas tree with all of its lights and look up through the tree. I think I loved it because it reminded me of being a kid and doing the same thing. I loved looking up into the tree and seeing all the lights reflecting off of the glass decorations. I love that Megan still did that at 24 years old (who am I kidding, she probably still does it at 33). Megan used to sleep under the tree too. She was always trying to get us to do it too. I would lay there with her, but i never slept under there with her. I think she may have talked some of the other girls to do it though... 

Having William wake up at our house on Christmas morning was priceless. We had a minor fear that William would wake up really early and open all his presents before we got downstairs, so Lawrence told William he had to stay in his room until we woke up (I told him I'd set our alarm for 7 am). When we woke up, I walked down the hallway and he was standing in his doorway. He hadn't left his room and it was just killing him. =)

I told him he could go downstairs and he moved so fast I was sure that he would break his neck on the steps. We followed him down and made him wait to open presents until we had made some coffee (Come on...the parents have to have some fun too).
 
When we finally let him at it, he was so cute tearing into the paper, screaming like a coyote, giggling, just being really excited. He made out like a bandit getting presents from both us and Santa. He got a computer from us and we all got a Wii from Santa. William especially was amused by the presents he got from some of Santa's reindeer. I think he got one from Rudolf and Dancer. He was very amused by the hoof prints on the presents. 


After opening our presents, we started preparing a big brunch. An hour or so later Aunt Anya, Grandma and Grandpa Miskel, and Great-grandpa Miskel came over to open more presents and to eat breakfast together. It was a wonderful morning. And most likely the last one where a certain little man still believes in Santa. Hopefully, however, the magic and wonder of Christmas will stay with him for the rest of his life. I just want to give him as many wonderful and happy memories as i can. And yes Megan...next year I'm gonna make him sleep under the tree with me!







No comments: