Monday, April 6, 2009

Lawrence's 30th Birthday

My husband turned 30 yesterday AND we celebrated our 6 year anniversary. Welcome to your 30's my love, it's not so bad. In fact it is actually good to be out of your 20's. This means you will settle down and give up your young boy ways? right? =)

So, I thought I'd take this chance to tell everyone the story of how Lawrence and i met. I moved back to St. Louis in September of 2002 both for a new job and to come home to where most of my immediate and extended family live. I lived in my parents basement for six months while I saved up money to buy a house. (Oh how I miss my mom cooking me dinner every night- Those were the good old days!)

In early February 2003 I moved into our current home. I had met my friend Gary in October of 2002 and he saved me from being the lonely little puppy that I was by dragging me out of the house and going out.

So on April 5th, 2003 Gary and I went to see the Gateway Men's Chorus Spring Concert (that is the gay men's chorus in St. Louis). I remember two things from that concert. One- they sang Amazing Grace and I cried (it's a long story for another time) and Two- there was a really cute boy in a sweater vest. Yes, that's right...a sweater vest. Not many boys wear sweater vests any more, but this boy did and he was adorable. He was tall and had wavy soft brown hair and puppy dog brown eyes (are you puking yet?). I leaned over and asked Gary if he knew who he was and as if by a miracle, Gary said yes! Gary was an interviewer for a program called CORO and Lawrence (yes the boy in the sweater vest was my husband) was a CORO Fellow. Gary promised to email him the next day to see if he was single and interested in a blind date. I was dying that I had to wait.

After the concert we went to Nick's wine bar. And who walks in with a bunch of his friends?? The cute boy in the sweater vest and a bunch of his friends. I spent the evening watching Lawrence (aka LT) drink Sangria and dance with his friends. I tried to pay attention to Gary, but I couldn't stop staring. We never talked that night, but we caught eyes many a time and i knew I was smitten.

The next day Gary emailed him and he emailed back. He had thought Gary and me were together, but since we weren't he was definitely interested. (I still have the email that Gary forwarded to me where Lawrence said he was interested. Yes I'm a sap!) We went on a date (to a coffee shop) later that week. Three and a half months later he had moved in. And the rest is History.

Who knew that 6 years later we would be celebrating his 30 and preparing for our son's 10th birthday!

The party was fun! The family was there for dinner and then a bunch of our friends came over for drinking and a bonfire. The grandparents took William home with them later in the evening. Good times were had by all!

To my husband- After 6 years I still melt when you walk in the room. You are my love and my soul. Happy 30th Birthday Old Man!




No comments: